An honest look at today's latest blockbusters, DVD rentals, and TV shows from two ordinary Janes

Monday, August 29, 2005

The Brothers Grimm (Take Two: Juvs' Review)



"Hi, I'm Jake. This is Will. I like beans."


The Brothers Grimm...what an interesting movie. I knew it was directed by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame, and I was expecting it to be entertaining, which the movie was. However, I was very much confused. I probably should have read a description of the movie before I sauntered into the theatre. I guess I expected to understand as the film progressed. Luckily, Becky explained the beginning.

Will and Jake Grimm (Matt Damon and Heath Ledger, respectively) are charlatans who "rid" towns of evil spirits, etc...and are befuddled when they finally encounter a real evil witch(Monica Bellucci), kept alive by a eternal life spell, who needs the blood of 12 girls to make her beautiful again.

The concept for the movie was unique, but the execution of it, was sub-par. For one thing, I was confused with character motives. Is that the main villian? Is he helping the Grimms (or the Grimmies)?

What is he supposed to do? How'd that girl do that? The Gingerbread Man?

There were a lot of cameos (or references) to various fairy tales, and I found that amusing. It was cool to see how Gilliam plugged them in. Perhaps on a second viewing, I may like it more. It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but Grimm did not make me jump and shout "EUREKA!" I was amused by Heath Ledger's acting as a "geek." I loved that. No Heath "I'm-going-to-joust-with-a-chunk-of-wood-hanging-out-of-my-shoulder" Ledger. Nope. Nice change. I found it adorable. And Matt Damon was good as well.

I'll give it a 3.5/5 shakas. Alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home